Thursday 26 October 2017

CAKE!

This is one of my favourite subjects...for all the yummy reasons I can think of...and the options and approaches that all you wedding folk take are amazing...from the exquisite delicacy of perfect sugar paste roses,  black lace or the story of your lives - to cheese & fruit, Lego cake stands, art attack projects, and my own personal favourite...the Cake Table.

where do you even start?

The cake table is (I think?) quite a new idea for weddings, and is very simple, will appeal to every single one of your guests, and is very cheap...in fact it often costs nothing at all...
You just write a list of all the best bakers who are coming to the wedding(and your aunties neighbour who does the Cherry Bakewell too!) and ask them to bring you their very best version of their very best cake...their own perfect show stopper signature cake to use the Bake Off parlance...

These are then all placed on the same table, and your guests get to indulge as they like...so if Tarte Tatin is your all time favourite, then get stuck in! Brownies? over there...individual carrot cake with a half inch of cream cheese & lime topping? oh HELL yes..

Now, I am not against traditional wedding cakes in ANY way shape or form...but as a true cake lover, I want ALL the cake, not just a sliver of one kind with my coffee, which is as much as a lot of folk want...but then I see a confection like this rose extravaganza below, and I just love the artistry and effort...and in this case, spend ages trying to take a decent picture of it!

How beautiful are these roses? Just perfect.


















Cake toppers have been getting crazier, more accurate and more fun too...Cally & Ryan pictured here had movie references throughout their ceremony so having them in the cinema with their box of popcorn made absolute sense...and the colourful ones I've seen a few of this year have been just beautiful...with the one on the right here all the flowers, toadstools and leaves were 3 D, rather than flat, and so beautifully made.



The Lego Cake stand here was the attraction rather than the cake itself...and is actually from one of my very earliest weddings, and I just found this picture in a random folder recently...which started my cake collection photo file!It really was a proper feat of engineering, and was a a cause of endless discussion before and after the ceremony...with actual arguments breaking out about the flying buttresses!




The one on the left here was a very elegant piece, and the flower were all the decor...as they were across the board that day...all the dresses, settings and the cake too were very simple and plain, but adorned with the themed flowers. A lovely idea...
and right, we have the love story of Andy & Ange, which I think I have on another post too...their dogs fell in love first on the meadows in Edinburgh under the cherry blossom...




On the right here we have 'naked' cake...with loads of cream and fruit, so actually quite simple, but looks amazing, and seriously yummy too...Then last but not least one of my all time favourites: Rainbow cake - which went with the rainbow bouquets,  rainbow table names, rainbow chair bands....
Incidentally, all the Groomsmaids were
dressed in Black - each of them carrying one of the bouquets you see here, and a matching ribbon to handfast the grooms together. Loved it!





PS: Every time I see the word CAKE in capital letters I think of this illustrated story...and now that CAKE is on my blog, I see it often.
If you have ever been a small child with a sweet tooth this may resonate with you...or if you're a parent, it may serve as a warning about the dangers of thwarting such a child...
This has absolutely nothing to do with weddings at all, and is only about the overwhelming desire for cake, but I suspect a few of you might enjoy it:
http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.co.uk/2010/10/god-of-cake.html

1 comment:

  1. http://humanistweddingsperthshire.blogspot.in/2017/10/murthly-castle-max-hannah.html

    ReplyDelete